The FIRE has spread! Physician finance blogs began as a niche with a single dominant early presence (the White Coat Investor). Those days are long gone. Here are the docs in finance I follow:
- A Good Life MD is a radiation oncologist blogging on finance as well as the deeper question of what constitutes a “good life,” a guiding philosophy for heart and wallet.
- Another Second Opinion is an emergency physician in SoCal leavening his financial lessons with humor as he prepares you to spend more time away from work.
- A Sustainable Medical Career Dr. Mo is a family practice trained urgent care doc practicing tele-medicine, which he plans to continue from Spain. Why didn’t I think of that?
- B.C. Krygowski is the palliative care half of a dual doc couple who just took a massive pay cut to live higher quality lives. Could her experiment create a tipping point for others?
- Crispy Doc that’s me! I’m an EM doc in LA whose financial literacy conversion experience took me from burnt out to FIRE’d up. I help newbies start strong, and crusty vets get out of ruts to find that lost mojo.
- Dads Dollars Debts is a California-based cardiologist blogging on finance before he lost his home in the Tubbs Fire. He’s rebuilding a life and home from the ashes, allowing us to vicariously imagine if we’d handle such a crisis with comparable grace.
- Delayed Earner is a pulmonary/critical care fellow hacking his finances during training with moonlighting gigs.
- DiverseFI Doc G is a beyond FI / concierge / hospice director / nursing home doc. He’s a workaholic looking to smell more roses as he cuts back.
- Doc Of All Tradez is an anesthesiologist and self-proclaimed burnout survivor looking to help others avoid similar pitfalls.
- Doctor of Finance MD Hatton1 is an OB/GYN with a ubiquitous presence in physician finance fora and blogs. She’s in the enviable position of approaching finance as a retiring physician with a high net worth.
- Doctors on Debt is a dual doctor couple digging their way out of student debt while sharing lessons and victories.
- Dr. Cory S. Fawcett is a newly retired surgeon and personal finance author lecturing across the country to awaken physicians to financially responsible living.
- Dr. Linus MD is an emergency physician and MBA with some terrific negotiation tips certain to benefit the motivated newbie. He recently joined with an attorney partner to target high net worth dads. Look out for these Young Guns of finance.
- Dr. McFrugal is an anesthesiologist, new dad, vegetarian, Tesla driver and travel hacker with a touch of Hollywood lifestyle.
- Dr. Moneyblog is a Canadian doc and closet finance geek whose life of frugality and minimalism have yielded a maximalist net worth >$8 million loonies.
- Dr. Networth is another Canuck from Ontario with a Boglehead investing philosophy and real estate dabbling tendencies. Great post on grading your financial performance.
- Dr. Wise Money was a radiology resident and single mom who devised innovative hacks to finance her medical education. Her articles are worth learning from, even as her unexpected death left us wanting more.
- Fifteen Minute Financial Fitness is a surgical pathologist who recently emerged from the dark to offer brief actionable posts to bring you closer to FI.
- Financially Free MD is part of a Canadian dual physician household motivated to share his financial knowledge and, sweetly, to leave a blueprint for his family in case of his untimely demise. Great origin story on assessing risk tolerance.
- First Habit is an academic radiologist whose secret sauce for FI is cultivating positive habits (and ditching the liabilities) to pave the way to financial success.
- Foreign Born MD is an internist living in Oregon who took a frugal road to the American dream. She’s also a female primary breadwinner and IMG.
- Future Proof MD is an (almost) interventional radiologist who first studied and blogged on personal finance as a resident, confirming my bias that radiologists really are savvier than the rest of us.
- Happy Philosopher is a job-sharing radiologist whose struggles with burnout, mindfulness and simplicity attract a crowd beyond medicine.
- Investing Doc is an internist in Texas from humble origins who learned to budget and is working his way to FI.
- Keeping Up With The Darkos is a FI-oriented blog run by the social media powerhouse Drs. Darko documenting their victory against $800k in debt. (The male Dr. D, a trauma surgeon, also hosts the popular Docs Outside The Box podcast.)
- Kevin MD is the exit strategy that happens when a social media savvy doc jumps into a wild west online space early. Many doc finance bloggers guest post here.
- Life Of FI MD is an unabashed evangelist for getting physicians to adopt FI as a central goal to support a broader life philosophy of balance.
- Live Free MD is a sports medicine doc who dug out from under $400k of debt. He lives lean but intentionally with laser-focus on his goal of early FI.
- Loonie Doctor is an irreverent, hilarious academic Canadian critical care doc who writes from the “mosh pit” of medicine to make you a full financial code.
- Med School Financial is a preventive medicine doc’s attempt to help you avoid financial mistakes through early intervention.
- Millionaire Doc is a private practice physician with an audacious goal to reach a $20 million net worth.
- Miss Bonnie MD is a dermatologist profiling financially successful female physicians with a mission to increase financial literacy for women in medicine.
- My Curiosity Lab is a radiologist married to a pediatrician whose intellect and endearing candor are notable. Trying to save for and figure out his Second Act.
- Nisha Mehta MD is a radiologist who blogs and speaks on physician wellness and work-life balance.
- OB Doctor Mom left medicine after a health scare. She explores financial and ethical dimensions of early retirement for physicians, dissecting what we owe and to whom.
- Passive Income MD is an anesthesiologist and the latest addition to the WCI empire. His passive income streams support a 200k/yr lifestyle in LA – wow.
- Pediatrician Finds Financial Independence chronicles a new dad with a kid in a HCOL area slaying debt to achieve FI over 15 years.
- Physician On Fire is an anesthesiologist, brewer, WCI empire member, founder of the Physicians on Fire facebook group and ubiquitous FI ambassador on the cusp of leaving medicine in his early 40s.
- Physician Philosopher is an anesthesiologist paying it forward by helping younger docs learn financial lessons early, using his path to FI as a case study.
- Physician REI is a real-estate oriented blog with a physician angle, helping docs with deep pockets learn to landlord.
- Rogue Dad MD is an academic in Peds EM who has published on physician financial illiteracy. His blog is delightfully wide-ranging in scope. Ask about his son and the tooth fairy.
- Senior Resident is a radiologist married to a psychiatrist, living in Hawaii and blogging on investing and medical school debt among other topics.
- Side Hustle Scrubs is an east coast EM doc adopting a “see hustle, do hustle, teach hustle” approach to physician side gigs and nontraditional career opportunities.
- Smart Money MD is an ophthalmologist who sees right through your deficient medical education, bringing you up to speed on the psychology and logistics of personal finance.
- Some Random Guy Online is an emergency physician in San Francisco who killed $400k of debt and is aiming for FI despite his geography. My vote for best blogger name ever.
- Son Of A Doctor is actually plural! A maternal-fetal medicine OB married to an attorney/investment advisor, they cover what you need to know to thrive financially.
- Stealth Wealth MD is a radiologist and FIRE enthusiast who recently joined the fray. I’m looking forward to his contributions to the dialogue.
- Wall Street Physician is a precocious radiation oncology resident(!) whose past as a trader at an investment bank lends a uniquely authoritative perspective on finance. What took the rest of us years, he and Future Proof MD pulled off as residents!
- Wealthy Doc went from dirt poor to FI and lends his MD/MBA perspective as a bootstrapper with street cred.
- White Coat Investor (WCI) is an emergency physician, entrepreneur, prolific Boglehead, and undisputed pioneer of physician personal finance. The blog that launched a thousand blogs. If I dropped words like “juggernaut,” which I don’t, this is where I might use them.
- Xrayvsn is a radiologist in the southeast who started his blog last month. One to watch.
This list is limited to blogs written by MDs or DOs devoting significant content to physician personal finance. There are numerous physician blogs dedicated to wellness, burnout prevention, health and fitness, and journaling. For a list including these non-financially oriented blogs, check out Physician on Fire’s blogroll.
There are also excellent podcasts (are your ears burning, Dr. Carrie Reynolds of Hippocratic Hustle?) which are are pertinent but not primarily blogs. I am interested in assembling a similar list of physician finance podcasts by physicians – kindly leave suggestions in the comments section.
There are also veteran commenters in the physician finance blogosphere who are known and respected in the community who have written occasional guest posts but have yet to start independent blogs. Gasem, Vagabond MD, Zaphod and others, just let me know when you follow Hatton1’s lead and I’d proudly add you to this list.
If I missed a blog or incorrectly characterized yours, let me know in the comments and I’ll make it right.
Finally, I recognize the bias to North American bloggers. I welcome suggestions of docs in finance on other continents.