I may not sting like a bee, but I pride myself on my ability to float like a butterfly.
FinCon18 will be my first finance blogger convention (I feel like a JV pretender joining the varsity lineup, but I plan to fake it ’til I make it). I’m going to meet some heroes, see some virtual friends in person for the first time, and learn some skills that enable me to become more entrepreneurial with the blog. Check out the bottom of the original invite post to see updated RSVPs!
So how do I pack for an event I’ve never attended? Minimally.
- Three short-sleeve button-down shirts (made of wrinkly drip-dry material that never needs ironing).
- One t-shirt.
- One pair of shorts and one pair of jeans.
- One nicer dress shirt for the docs in finance dinner I’ve organized.
- A swimsuit, goggles and workout/airplane travel shirt.
- Basic toiletries (shaver, brush, hair gel, toothbrush and toothpaste).
- Campsuds to wash clothes for reuse.
- Laptop and charger.
- Phone and charger.
- Book for the plane.
- 3 pairs of underwear.
- One pair of sandals (because hey, Californian, who needs other footwear?).
- ID, glasses, and a good attitude.
Excepting the underwear, all clothing will have been purchased used from thrift stores.
It’s all going to fit in the REI Traverse pack shown in the photo, purchased used for ~$30 just under a decade ago from an REI Used Gear Sale. I’d originally thought of using a smaller pack, but since FinCon supposedly involves some swag, I figured leaving a third of the pack empty for swag would be reasonable.
What will you bring?
What’s your baggage?
The two questions are far from identical, if you think about it.